Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Year Later...


It has bee exactly twelve months since we first went to Cambodia to scout out the possibility of starting a line of fair trade prom dresses. I still cannot believe all that has happened!
I just returned from another visit to Cambodia, my fourth in twelve months! This plane trip is not for the faint of heart! If I have to eat one more tiny tray of korean airplane food!.... that's for a different blog.
As I was saying, I just returned from another trip to Cambodia. I am amazed at all that has happened, but mostly, I am amazed at the growth I have seen in the girls in The Daughters Project. The three girls that were our first students has grown to 14. Unfortunately, we have lost two or three, due to the perils of human trafficking. But the girls that have been able to remain have grown in their confidence, happiness and security. Three of the girls have just completed their first dress from start to finish! It brought us great joy to be able to give them their financial reward- you should have seen the smiles on their faces! With their new skills as seamstresses they will be able to support themselves financially, and probably their families. This is huge! All of the 'Daughters' have little sisters that are at risk of being sold. If the 'Daughters' can provide financial stability then their little sisters will not be sold and we are even closer to stopping the cycle of extreme poverty in this part of the world!
The Daughters House is a very happy place. We got a glimpse into their lives on our visit. One day, after returning home from the workshop, the girls began to play soccer in the driveway. Suddenly, rain poured down, monsoon style. Surprisingly, the girls kept playing soccer, soaking wet, laughing, giggling, smiling, running. My friend Heather, stood there watching. She was so moved by their newfound joy she cried. She said that for a moment, she felt the kingdom of heaven there.
Needless to say, I am 'sop-bai'. This means happy in Khmer and it is a word the 'Daughters' use a lot now.

Nicole Krajewski

No comments:

Post a Comment